Enamel Abrasion Therapy Is Available From Certain Dentists | Blog
The enamel is the thin outer layer of the tooth and is the hardest tissue in the human body. It covers the visible part of the tooth which is also known as the crown. Enamel is transparent in color and you will be able to see right through it. The dentin is the part of the tooth responsible for its color which can be off-white, yellowish, or grey. The enamel on your teeth can become stained by beverages like coffee, tea, red wine, fruit juices, cola, and cigarettes. Regular visits to the dentist’s office
for routine cleanings and polishing can remove the surface stains to leave your teeth appearing healthy.
Enamel does not have any living cells making it impossible for the body to repair enamel that has been affected by chipped or broken teeth. The enamel can also be eroded by the acids on the teeth for any of the following reasons.
- Excessive consumption of soft drinks with high levels of phosphoric acid.
- Fruit drinks.
- Low salivary flow or dry mouth.
- A diet high in sugar and starch.
- Gastrointestinal problems.
- Genetics, medications and environmental factors.
What Are the Reasons For Enamel Abrasion?
Enamel abrasion can occur due to friction, stress, wear and tear or a combination of the three. The terms to describe these mechanisms clinically are the following:
- Attrition. This is caused by friction which happens naturally when you clench or grind your teeth like in the condition of bruxism which occurs involuntarily.
- Abrasion. The physical wear-and-tear happens if you brush too hard, floss improperly, bite on hard objects, and chew tobacco.
- Abfraction. When stress fractures in the tooth like cracks from flexing or bending of the tooth happen it causes abfraction.
- Corrosion. This is a chemical occurrence that happens when acidic content comes into contact with the surface of the tooth and is a problem associated with medications, frequent vomiting from bulimia or alcoholism, and highly acidic foods.
The plaque which forms on the teeth and changes food starches into acid also contributes to enamel abrasion.
What Are The Symptoms of Enamel Abrasion?
The stage of the abrasion will determine the kind of symptoms that may be exhibited by an individual. Some of the following are commonly noted:
- Discoloration. Enamel that has worn off will expose more dentin making the teeth appear yellow.
- Sensitivity. During the early stages of enamel abrasion, certain foods and temperatures may cause pain in the teeth.
- Cracks and chips. As the enamel erodes the edges of the teeth become rough, jagged and irregular.
The tooth becomes susceptible to cavities or tooth decay with the erosion of the enamel. The tooth decay also gains entry to the main body of the tooth causing problems that can be difficult to treat.
Preventing Enamel Erosion
If you wish to prevent enamel erosion you must ensure you keep your teeth healthy by brushing and flossing with fluoride toothpaste and using an antiseptic mouthwash every day. Visiting the dentist near you every six months for regular checkups and cleanings will also prove beneficial. You can also try some home remedies to ensure prevention of the erosion by the following:
- Eliminate highly acidic drinks and foods from your diet.
- Use a straw when having acidic beverages.
- Limit snacking to reduce the chances of tooth decay.
- Inquire with your dentist if sealants may help you to prevent enamel erosion and tooth decay.
Actions to Take When Everything Fails
When enamel erosion happens from your teeth dentists offering enamel abrasion therapy in Dallas may consider tooth bonding to protect the tooth. It may help to improve the cosmetic appearance of the tooth. If significant enamel erosion is noticed enamel abrasion therapy Dallas
may recommend covering the tooth with a crown or veneer. The crown may offer further protection to the tooth from tooth decay.
Enamel is difficult to replace after it has eroded and dentists and dentists usually recommend caring for the enamel by visiting them for regular cleanings and checkups. People that do not follow the recommendations provided may consider themselves unfortunate but enamel abrasion in Dallas can provide them with a remedy if they are facing a significant problem of enamel erosion from their teeth.
It is therefore suggested that people take good care of their teeth to ensure enamel erosion is limited but if the need arises they can certainly contact the dentist offering enamel abrasion therapy in Dallas for a remedy.